DON TRIES OUT MY IR AF IDEA

>       >> If I use a true IR filter that lets in
>       >>  no visible light, will the camera still
>       >> be able to focus on the IR spectrum?
>
>       > I'll try it tonight when I get home and
>       > let you know what happens.  I bet it'll
>       > work.
>
>       I taped a small piece of 87C gel over the AF sensors
>       in the bottom of the F5's mirror box, and taped another
>       piece between the film rails inside the back (between
>       the shutter and the film), and loaded up a roll of Kodak
>       HIE.
>
>       It appears to be working.  I haven't developed the film
>       yet,  but the camera focuses approximately the right
>       amount in front of the visible light image.
>
>       I was using a 105mm/f2 DC to test it out.  I figured
>       it's narrow depth of field would provide a good test
>       of focusing accuracy.
>
>       Even with an f2 lens, it takes a lot of IR to autofocus.
>       With the subject in direct sunlight it focused pretty
>       well, but any amount of cloud cover reduced the IR
>       enough to prevent the AF from working at all.

Don, thanks a heap for all your effort.  I wonder if we can use this
anywhere.  Submit it to pop photo online maybe, or Tom can put it in his
next book (Hi Tom!)

-----------------------------
PREDICTIONS FOR 1999

>       Anyway, as far as preditions for AF-S lenses in '99, I'll say
>
>       o 20-35/2.8D AF-S update --OR-- 18-35/2.8D AF-S replacement lens
>       o 300/4D AF-S
>       o 200-400/4D AF-S  :*)

My guesses:
35/1.4AF-D with crinkle finish for $1499.
Redesigned 85/1.8AF-D
Rumors of the F-110 which will be the N-110 in the US.
SB-29 which will be a new standard in flashes
2000mm/5.6 custom manual focus for Michael Jordan who will take up photography

------------------------------
NIKON STABILIZATION

>I wonder why Nikon hasn't introduced an image stabilzed lens yet. Could
>it be that this technique is under a patent of Canon? Does anyone have
>information on this topic?
>Christian

Remember Canon had the RED squares on the AF points and it took the F100 to
get that on Nikon?  Remember when the 8000th shutter speed came out on the
N8008 and now everyone has it?  In Japan they share technology, in the US
they protect it as proprietary.  Minolota had the 7xi with the pop up
flash, the Canon line has the EOS5 with pop up, the EOS2 does not have pop
up as it is for the USA only.  To protect patents and inventions us
photographers are getting the short end here in the USA.

I believe that IS will come about in Nikon lenses one day, but to do so
will also be Nikon saying "Okay Canon, you got us" and of course Nikon
would like to stay ahead in the tit-for-tat rage.  Nikon is probably trying
to leapfrog Canon in the IS dept instead of catching up.

SHOW

Anyone in southern california, Sunday 1/17, Sequoia Athletic Club, camera
show 10-3!

Robert in Redlands