Christian Rieck wrote:

> I wonder why Nikon hasn't introduced an image stabilzed lens yet.
> Could it be that this technique is under a patent of Canon? Does
> anyone have information on this topic?

I don't know what technology Canon use, but most of the
recent stuff (moving lenses and mirrors) described at
optical physics conferences has been designed for
astronomy and the removal of atmospheric turbulence
rather than correcting for motion of the camera..

The use of gyroscopes on cameras was granted a
British patent in the late 1800's (!), and is a technique I
have seen used on helicopters with Nikon cameras -
although one of the photographic team did complain
about the weight.