I recently bought the L-508, mainly for use with medium and large format
systems. I think this is great meter if you are going to have one
handheld meter. It makes compromises in many areas but you don't have
anything else that I know of with these capabilities. The compromises -
no viewfinder readout when using the spot mode, less low light
sensitivity in reflected mode compared to a L-778, limited averaging
capability, etc. On the plus side, incident, reflected variable angle
spot and flash meter in one package.

With an F5 do you need it? Well, I use mine with my N90s anytime I have
concerns about highly reflective settings (read snow here in Minnesota).
I prefer the L-508 spot capabilities over switching the N90s to spot
mode. It's also great to have a flash meter to evaluate flash shots,
especially if using multiple flash set-ups.

Do you need a handheld meter if you have built in meters as good as the
F5 or N90s? I know it has made the difference between great shots and
okay shots for me more than once. A handheld meter also forces you to
evaluate each exposure more carefully, the same benefit as using a MF or
LF camera. You don't lean on the shutter release until you have thought
the shot through carefully.