Hello John,

I am a die hard manual Nikon user. I own FA, and FE amongst other Nikons.

The FA has programme mode, aperature priority mode, manual mode, shutter to
1/4000s, flash sync at 1/250, matrix metering, TTL flash

The FE has aperature priority mode, manual mode, shutter to 1/1000s, flash
sync at 1/125, centre weighted metering

The FE2 has aperature priority mode, manual mode, shutter to 1/4000s, flash
sync at 1/250, centre weighted metering, TTL flash

The FA top housing is polycarbonate, whereas the FE and FE2 are all metal.
The winder on the FE is the silkest of all Nikons I have ever used.

The FA has a very nice grip, much better than the F3's.

One thing annoys me on the FA is that the metering won't start to work and
the shutter is set to 1/250 until frame 1. I have never used the programme
mode on the FA, as I use manual most of the time.

Although the FA is functionally better than the FE2, it is cheaper.

Hope this helps,

Sover