Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 09:34:52 +0100
From: Pim Stouten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: nikon-digest V4 #198 Zeiss Jena lens [v04.n199/33]
Message: 33

<<quote>>
From: "kp foo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: car zeiss jena lens [v04.n198/12]
Message: 12

I am interested in getting a carl zeiss jena 80mm f2.8 with the F-mount
adaptor for Nikon cameras. Would appreciate your views and experience
with this lens. Is it better than similar Nikkor MF lens? I intend to
use it for outdoors protrait and landscape shots.
<<unquote>>

Years ago I bought a Pentacon Six system (6*6 SLR), made in the good old
GDR. Its standard lens was a Zeiss Jena 2.8/80 (Biometar, I believe it is
called)

Since the camera isn't the most reliable, I didnt't use it for quite a
while. Fortunately, recently I got hold of an adapter for PSix to Nikon.
Quality was already very impressive on six-six negatives, but it is really
astonishing on 35mm, no vignetting, practically no distortion, good
contrast at low apertures and if you stop down, an enormous depth of filed.
You can get the lens here in the Netherlands for about $100-150, but if you
happen to have the luck to be travelling to eastern europe, you can get one
for prices as low as $50. With  this PSix-Nikon adapter you can also get
quite good other german-built lenses for a bargain (I got a 4.0/300 for
$175).

Hope this helps,

Pim
AMS, NL