> I am also not aware of the possibility of Ilfochrome-quality
> enlargements from digital images (even if that were possible, the
> files would be enormous, in terms of today's magnetic/optical storage
> technology).
>
> My 2c...
> Guy

Here's a few more cents worth.  I've been using Nikon's LS2000 scanner for
about a month, and an Epson Photo EX inkjet printer for a week now.  I
went back to a chrome (velvia) taken a couple years ago -I'd printed it
cibachrome and also c print via med format interneg.  The cibachrome was
nice, excellent color good contrast, and clear detail.  The c print's
color was a bit muddy, and had lost some definition, relative to the
original slide and the cibachrome print.  (I guess it needed more color
work at the enlarger than I was willing to put in, at the time.)

A week ago, I scanned in the slide in question.  I made a few adjustments
(histogram/curves adjustments in photoshop) and this image just popped off
the screen.  I sent it down to the Epson at max resolution onto glossy
photo paper.  The result was impressive -to my eye, it looks much better
than the cibachrome.  Partly, I believe this results from the adjustments
I'd made in photoshop (which aren't quite available at the lab).  We have
better control over color balance, contrast, and picture elements once the
image is digital.

I did a comparison study.  I put the cibachrome and the epson print in
front of friends who'd never seen the image before.  I told them one came
from an enlarger and one from an inkjet printer, and asked them to pick
out the original cibachrome print.  No exceptions, they always picked out
the Epson print as being the original cibachrome.  Funny, eh?

I don't yet fully understand why this is.  I think it really was the color
adjustments I could only make to the digital image.

Under an 8x loupe, the Epson's inkjet ink blobs are easy to see.  The
cibachrome would probably take a 30x microscope to see the paper's
emulsion.  So, the Epson loses in terms of potential image resolution. But
that doesn't seem to make much difference.  To the naked eye, looking very
closely, I can see that there's a slightly grainy texture to the Epson
print, but I can't quite see what's causing it.

My next test is to run the same file out on a high-end printer, a die-sub
or something similar, as a reference print.

File size does get large, but relative to today's storage costs, it's not
a big problem.  At least not until you want to store/archive hundreds or
thousands of images at maximum resolution, then you're looking at making
an investment.  At 2700dpi and 48bit color, you end up with files as large
as 58MB.  If you scale them up for large prints, and want to maintain high
resolution, poof!  There goes half a gig!

You need a speedy computer with at least 128MB ram, 256 best.  The
trade-off (dollars for digital) has been worth it.

best regards,
kevin prichard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]