> Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 16:45:11 -0500
> From: "Bob Croslin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Leader out and patents [v04.n204/20]
> Message: 20
>
> And yes, Canon does own patents to several custom functions. I found this
> hard to believe but I've heard it out of enough reps mouths on both sides
> of the fence to believe it's the truth. Someone should do a patent search
> and see if it turns up.

It wasn't easy to find, but Canon does have a patent that covers this
(actually two).  The patent numbers are US04752793 and USRE034083.

You can see the entire first patent at
<http://www.patents.ibm.com/details?pn=US04752793__&language=en>.
Here is the first claim which pretty much summarizes the invention:

What is claimed is:
1. A camera with a motorized film rewinding device and a photo-taking lens,
comprising:
   (a) a motor;
   (b) a film rewinding force transmission system driven by said motor as a
   drive source;
   (c) a film winding spool;
   (d) a camera body having, on alternate sides of said phototaking
   lens, an area in which said spool is disposed and another area in
   which a film cartridge is to be disposed;
   (e) detection means for detecting completion of film rewinding, a
   detecting part of said detection means being disposed in between
   said spool disposing area and said film cartridge disposing area;
   (f) control means for automatically bringing the operation of said
   motor to a stop, said control means including:
     (f-1) first control means for bringing the operation of said motor
     to a stop after the lapse of a first predetermined period of time
     from a point of time when completion of film rewinding is detected
     by said detection means, said first predetermined period of time
     being set at a length of time for effecting take-up of the leader
     part of said film into said film cartridge; and
     (f-2) second control means for bringing the operation of said
     motor to a stop after the lapse of a second predetermined period
     of time from a point of time when completion of film rewinding is
     detected by said detection means, said second predetermined period
     of time being set at a length of time effecting take-up into said
     film cartridge except for the leader part thereof, said first time
     period being greater than said second time period; and
   (g) selection means for selecting as operative either said first
   control means or said second control means of said control means.

I haven't read the entire patent, but based on this claim it's probably
the one that people refer to when they say that Canon has a patent
on user selectable leader out.

The other patent (USRE034083) which is even broader.  In fact I would
think that it includes any leader out rewind (it does not include the
"(g) selection means" paragraph).  I'll leave it to someone else to
explain why this isn't the case.

BTW, both US patents are based on two Japanese patents P1985000029668
and JP1986000016756.

marcos

p.s. If someone is really bored please look at patent US05128704 (also
     assigned to Canon) and tell me what is means.  The first claims is:

     1. A camera or an accessory for said camera having first and
     second manual operation members, comprising:
     a) a mode setting circuit which is arranged such that, in a first
     mode, said circuit allows a first function or first information to
     be set by operating said first and second manual operation members
     together and allows a second function or second information to be
     set by operating said first manual operation member without
     operating said second manual operation member and, in a second
     mode, said circuit allows said second function or said second
     information to be set by operating said first and second manual
     operation members together and allows said first function o said
     first information to be set by operating said first manual
     operation member without operating said second manual operation
     member; and
     b) selection means for selecting the setting mode of said mode
     setting circuit.

--
Marcos H. Woehrmann  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  http://www.zipper.com/

        "There is a big difference between larger than you can
         possibly imagine and infinite." - Stephen Jay Gould

Disclaimer:  Well, yes, I do often speak for the company, but not this time.