>Just from looking at the F100 specs, I get the impression that it's
>just as rugged as the F5, but stripped down for less weight and cost.

In anticipation of many Nikon Digester's questioning the ruggedness of the
F100 I offer the following theoretical opinion.  If in it's construction the
F100 is as ruggedly constructed as the F5 then it will stand up to more
abuse than the F5.  This is because of the additional mass of the F5.  If
you were to calculate the exact height at which an F5's case would break
when dropped, the F100 would not break when dropped at that height because
it has less mass and therefore less inertia.  This theory would also apply
to damage to the lens mount with lenses attached.

>It looks to me like Nikon saw a hole in their lineup and plugged it with
the
>F100.  It isn't a direct upgrade from either the N90 or F5.  It's the new
F3.

Nikon replaced the N50 with the N60.  I think the F100 was intended to
replace the N90s but as costs escalated Nikon decided to place it between
the F5 and the N90s

Art

Art Searle, [EMAIL PROTECTED], Lake Grove, NY, USA
20 miles east of Nikon USA     www.erols.com/w2nra
The United States of America - Nulli secundus