Kevin wrote:

> For printing, I've tried several experiments varying from 360 to 720 dpi.
> Epson claims the printer performs at 720 x 1440 dpi.  I've not yet found a
> rational explanation for this claim, or whether it will accept image data
> of this resolution and print with any difference from lower resolutions
> such as 360dpi.

Kevin, I don't know if I quite understand what you're saying here, so just
slap me if I've got it all wrong, but it's important to differentiate
between 'Epson dpi' and 'Actual dpi'. At 720dpi, the Epson lays down 720
little squirts of ink every inch, *regardless* of the actual resolution of
the picture (also in dpi; confusing). If you print a 240-244dpi picture at
the 720dpi setting on the Epson, that's about the best quality you'll see;
making the original higher resolution won't help, and will just waste disk
space; if you make all your pics at say 300dpi, they won't print with any
better quality than if they'd been 240dpi.

Best Wishes,

Paul

http://www.paulbrad.demon.co.uk