>From: "Paul Bradforth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: Epson dpi [v04.n218/24]
>
>Kevin, I don't know if I quite understand what you're saying here, so just
>slap me if I've got it all wrong, but it's important to differentiate
>between 'Epson dpi' and 'Actual dpi'. At 720dpi, the Epson lays down 720
>little squirts of ink every inch, *regardless* of the actual resolution of
>the picture (also in dpi; confusing). If you print a 240-244dpi picture at
>the 720dpi setting on the Epson, that's about the best quality you'll see;
>making the original higher resolution won't help, and will just waste disk
>space; if you make all your pics at say 300dpi, they won't print with any
>better quality than if they'd been 240dpi.

Paul that's right
but I don't know if you take in account that due to the fact that the Epson
has to make 4x4 dot patterns (thanks of its six colour engine instead of
16x16 with a normal CMYK
printer) to emulate colour shades the actual resolution of the printer is
360x180 dpi
I print on an early Epson Stylus Photo (the 720x720 dpi model) and the
manual advice not to
scan pictures over 240 dpi.
But printing at the highest resolution (720x1440 or 720x720) improves
colour transitions.
Although they are very good printers I obtain superior results in terms of
colour transitions and sharpness from cibachrome prints than with the combo
Minolta QuickScan 35 + Epson printer

feel free to ask

Massimiliano Marchetti

web page: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/8043