Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 07:40:15 -0600
From: Jeff Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SB-29 [v04.n210/12] [v04.n213/11] [v04.n216/23]
Message: 23

This is actually a feature, not a flaw.  Since the the camera's hot shoe
is
a potential breaking point, and is certainly a major stress point, it
makes
sense for the inexpensive flash foot to be flexible and breakable. A
small
tap of the flash head can create pretty good torque at the hot shoe.
Perhaps you'd rather have an F5's finder come off in an accident?

I've had the pleasure of using more "sturdy" mounting adapters on
previous
Nikons (SB-16A, SB-12).  The old Nikon flashes (non-standard hot shoe)
had
virtually nondestructible attachments.  Having the hot shoe broken off
two
cameras (F2A, F3HP) in the past, I don't really mind if the replaceable
foot on my SB-26 breaks on an impact.  Buying a new foot for $20 beats
the
heck out of having to replace a finder or repair it.

Jeff Wright