I would suggest that you consider the FM2n.
It is the ultimate (affordable) manual backup
body. The fact that it remains in production
today after some 16 years attests to its per-
formance. (Only the F3 beats that record and
that by only one year.)
<<<<<<<<<<

And if you consider that the FM2n is really but an upgrade of the original
FM, introduced in 1977, the camera is going on 22 years in the Nikon
line-up.

I remeber buying my first FM in 1978.  Shot with it for 13+ years before
moving into autofocus. But an N6006, a couple of N8008s and an F4 later,
I'm back to just a pair of FM2n. It's not the right camera for everyone.
Were I shooting sports I suspect I'd be lusting after an F5 or F100. But
for me, the FM2n's strightforward operation and simplicity makes it the
perfect photographic tool.

Larry