>> It's optics are quite good, but I don't
        >> think that it's multi-coated, so     you
        >> should use a UV filter or a hood with
        >> it to control flare.

        > A UV filter reduces flare??!?

        Just flare that's caused by UV, which can occur when
        you've got a lot of blue sky in the frame.

        Skylight contains enough UV to cause lens flare even
        when shooting away from the sun.   It's not enough
        to make the pictures look completely washed-out,
        but it does reduce contrast.

        Since UV filters don't effect visible light, they don't
        affect flare caused by a visible light source in the
        frame.

        UV filters also have no effect on a multi-coated lens,
        because multi-coated lenses are virtually opaque to
        UV light already.

        -Don