That is, they permit the *lens* to mechanically autofocus,
unlike the Nikon TC16A which moves its own optics to
make the focus adjustment.

This looks like a good system, but does anyone have
any experience with the optics on the Tamron converters?
I am thinking of using the 1.4x with my Nikon 300/4AF.
I am hoping the image quality will be better than my TC16A.
Any comments?

#2: I noticed a (used) lens advertised I have never heard of.
It is a Tokina 24-40/2.8 AT-X autofocus.  It apparently is not
a current series lens, so is not listed on Tokina's web site.
This is a very nice pack age of focal lengths for me (90% of
my photos are done with 24mm and 35mm lenses), and is
a fixed 2.8 aperture.

Any experience with this lens?

don ferrario
http://www.ferrario.com/don