Being the proud new owner of an 80-200 f2.8 AFD.  I felt obliged to add the
HB-7 lens hood. I was surprised that the lens did not come with the hood and
distraught when I heard that Nikon wants ~$39 for it. This is just a little
scrap of plastic, the cost to Nikon can't be more than 50 cents. The hood
that came (free) with my Tamron 28-200 f3.5-5.6 looks better quality. And
the Tamron lens cost a third of what the Nikon did.

Now the 80-200 is by far the best lens I have ever owned, I'm overjoyed. But
does some third party make a lens hood that would work as well (and charge
$10 for it..) or do I have to buy Nikons offering.

Do I really need the hood? I have been able to use the lens in bright
daylight yet - just cloudy weather.

Craig Boyle
Human Factors Manager
VeriFone Inc