Sorry Stewart but there are differences between different brands of filters
just as there are differences between brands of lenses.  According to my
tests, the top three filter brands are: Nikon, B+W and Heilopan in that order.
Then there is a big jump between those and then Tiffin, Hoya and then there is
a jump to the crap filters that nobody recognizes.  Nikon and B+W filters are
so close that they are to my tests, just about equal. I found the optical
quality to be equal but the Nikon antireflective coatings to be just a touch
better than the B+W.  Build quality is typical German versus Japanese: The B+W
is built like a truck with it's large and very solid brass ring while the
Nikon is craftily designed, very small, light and efficient.  Heilopan has the
same glass as B+W but the dying to my eye isn't as pleasant as either B+W or
Nikon filters and the antireflective coating wasn't as good as either but they
are still very good filters and I would use them if I didn't have Nikon or B+W
to pick from.  Tiffin and Hoya filters aren't even in the same class as the
German and Nikon filters. Period.  Their antireflective coatings aren't nearly
as good, their optical quality isn't the same as their glass quality and
manufacture methods are not nearly as good.  The construction of the filters
on the Tiffin are certainly better than the Hoya but they both have the strong
tendency to bind on your lens or hood or other filters and that almost never
happens with Nikon or the German filters.  I had a Hoya filter completely come
apart when it was dropped from waist level.  That kind of quality does not
belong in my camera bag.  I did not test for this but a friend of mine who is
a commercial photographer found that his Tiffin filters were preventing his
lenses from focusing to infinity; they actually had a very slight dipotic
effect. He eventually threw out all his Tiffins and now uses B+W.  As for the
rest of the filters on the market, forget them.  They are not worth putting on
your fine Nikkor lenses.  As a final note, I wish that Nikon would make a
greater range of filters as their line is very small. However they are
fantastic and their A2 warming filter is easily the best on the market. If you
have not seen one next to any other companies 81B, then you should see the
difference side by side.  Also, Nikons polarizers are amazing and are easily
the best on the market. Do a side by side comparison and you will understand.

If anyone has questions, feel free to e-mail me.

Jonathan Castner
Photojournalist
Denver