> Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 21:42:02 -0600
> From: "Jake Hellbach" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Help on Sigma or Tamron lenses [v04.n213/17]
> Message: 17
>
> Hello,
> Has anyone used the Sigma 135-400 or the 170-500 lenses? Sharpness? Problems
> with autofocus ?
> Also the Tamron 200-400.
> Thanks for any help,
> Jake

I specialize in aviation subjects for book and magazine publishers worldwide. I've
used a Tamron 200-400mm f5.6 for over two years and am very happy with it. Usually, I
have an 80-200mm f2.8 on one F4E and the Tamron on the other F4E. Many of the photos
taken with the Tamron have been published, including once as the entire back cover of
a magazine.
They enlraged and cropped the image and even with that, the technical quality of the
lens was excellent. The publisher liked the photo so much, he also bought the rights
to use it in two sales brochures.

At least three other people who shoot aviation for a hobby bought the 200-400 after
hearing how pleased I was with it and they all said they're glad they did.

The only fault I can find with the lens is that there is no focus-limiter. If you move
the AF sensor off your subject, the lens "hunts" all the way to near and then all the
way back. The lens is surprisingly light. I'm not sure if they still do, but when I
bought mine, it came with a monopod of quite reasonable quality.

The lens hood is very large and, I think, very necessary.

Bottom line: if mine were stolen, I'd buy another without any hesitation.

Jeff Rankin-Lowe