Many people have written to express their outrage and disapointment
over the price of the new 80-200 AF-S and the 28-70 AF-S lenses.  I
agree that the lens is very pricey.  But, I believe we must consider
that there is currently a huge demand for AF-S zoom lenses on the part
of Nikon owners.  In particular there are certain Nikon users who must
have these new lenses as soon as possible.  Some have a valid work
need, others just like to be the first in town to have the newest
toys.  Either way, this is a large group of people who are soaking up
every new AF-S lens made.  They will probably continue to soak up
lenses for at least another year.  The rest of us have to be patient.
At some point in time their demand will be met and Nikon and its
dealers will have to face the fact that most of us won't pay $1500 USA
for this lens.  Then the price will drop. This is not some exotice
lens like a 14mm f/1.2 wide angle or the 600mm f/4.  It is a workhorse
lens that must be available to keep the system competitive.  At some
point the price must come down or Nikon will face what Pentax faces
right now.  Price a Pentax 80-200 f/2.8 zoom.  For the difference over
the old Nikon 80-200 f/2.8, one can buy the Nikon lens and a new N90s
body!  That is why many people, like me, don't rush to buy more Pentax
equipment, even though we currently have  some lenses and bodies.  Be
patient.  Hang on to your dollars.  Prices will come down.