> I am looking at buying a 1000mm for important
        > but occasional use. The Nikon 1000mm catadioptric
        > is a bit expensive and the 1 review I have found
        > rates it as optically so-so.

        I've been running around this question for over a
        year now, and haven't really found anything that's
        as good as I want, that doesn't cost more than I
        want to pay right now.

        The Reflex Nikkors are plenty sharp.  They lack
        contrast, they have uneven illumination, and their
        bokeh is abysmal (that's not a Nikon problem, those
        are just the basic properties of cats), but they're
        sharp.

        If you want a cat, the reflex Nikkor's are as good
        as most.

        I've got an old (5-element version) 500mm/f8.  It's
        not close to a 500mm/f4, but it's a lot sharper than
        an AF300mm/f4 on a TC201 (and it's cheaper than a
        TC301, which I ought to be using with that lens).

        > There are two Russian 1000mm cats which are one
        > tenth(!) the price.

        Never seen 'em, but at that price it sounds like
        they would be worth a try.  I doubt that they'd
        match the Nikkor, but you never know.

        > I have also had someone in the know recommend a
        > Celestron 5" telescope which is supposedly
        > diffraction limited and still cheaper than the
        > Nikon.

        One of the lenses I've considered was a 1250mm
        Mead Schmidt-Makarov.  But the telescope types are
        hard to focus, and that one won't mount on a normal
        tripod head.  Besides, they still have cross-eyed
        bokeh, and I suspect that they all have illumination
        problems -- a cat's a cat, after all.

        >  The AFS 500/4 and TC20E would be nice, but I value
        >  my marriage higher :-)

        Aw, c'mon -- everybody's got a wife, but how many
        people on your block can take a close-up picture
        of the inside of the queen's nostrils without having
        to risk being thumped by a bobby?

        All seriousness aside, what features are most important
        for your use?  Just sharpness? -- then get the best cat
        that fits your budget.  Is even illumination or good
        bokeh important, or the ability to control depth of field?
        If so you can forget all of the cats.

        Let me know if you find a good compromise out there, I
        haven't.  I've pretty much decided that, despite the cost
        of the long EDIF's, when you factor in ease of use and
        overall picture quality they're just about the only
        things in that focal length that are really worth what
        they cost.

        And, if I can just explain to the bank that I need to
        skip the next 16 mortgage payments, that 800mm should
        fit my budget just fine.

        -Don