Yes. You are right. Try to use your finger to spread some grease on the flash
and see the smoke.

One caution: do not touch the flash with anything or you may damage the flash.
There is a lot of energy comming out of the flash when it pops. If you put
something dark in front of it, that object will convert the light in heat and
transfer it to the glass. Well... there is a small risk of crack, like putting
hot tea in a glass ober marble.

Christian

release, the flash lighted up. But the flash was in direct contact with
the jeans and the flash left a mark burned-in!!! There was even a little
smoke coming out from my jeans!!! I said to myself that I was seeing
things that couldn't happen, so I repeated the procedure, this time on
purpose. Same result. So I tried different things and I came to this
conclusion: The flash burns Levi's jeans every time there's a cover on
the lens mount. (I blame it on the TTL-flash metering, which might be