>Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 22:21:14 +0100
>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: My F70 burns Levi's jeans! [v04.n305/10]
>Message: 10
>
>Well, it's not what it seems. But what happened today is very strange,
>and I'll need some help from another F70 owner. Here's the story:
>
>Today I was cleaning my lenses and my camera. The F70 lay on a jeans,
>which in turn lay on top of my desk. The camera was turned on with the
>flash popped up, so when I grabbed it, and inadvertently touched the
>release, the flash lighted up. But the flash was in direct contact with
>the jeans and the flash left a mark burned-in!!! There was even a little
>smoke coming out from my jeans!!! I said to myself that I was seeing
>things that couldn't happen, so I repeated the procedure, this time on
>purpose. Same result. So I tried different things and I came to this
>conclusion: The flash burns Levi's jeans every time there's a cover on
>the lens mount. (I blame it on the TTL-flash metering, which might be
>lighting the flash at its maximum power because there's no response
>coming back through the lens.) So my question to you F70 owners is this:
>Does this happen with your camera too? I don't want to bring the camera
>in for servicing if there's nothing wrong with it. If you decide to try
>this, please do it exactly the same way I did it: camera in M-mode,
>cover on the lens mount, and direct contact between flash and jeans.
>(For your information, the marks disappeared after I washed them.)
>
>Thanks a lot for your input.
>Friedrich
>Graz, Austria

Friedrich,

The power in the built-in speedlights on those cameras is quite powerful
and I have felt the intensity when having my hand near the flash while
firing it in a demo situation. With the lens cap on the camera or without
film in it, the speedlight is going to give a full dump because it is
reflecting off of the black pressure plate.

It is quite normal.

Ed