>The F4S I recently bought makes a high-pitched noise when I press the DOF
>preview button and when it stops down the aperture prior to an exposure,
>even without a lens mounted. It sounds like something is rubbing against a
>tightly wound coil spring or fine pitch threads on a screw. It works fine,
>but I'm concerned that the noise is not normal; I don't have another F4 to
>compare it to. I don't recall ever hearing an F, F2, or F3 make this sound.
>Is it normal for an F4? Advice is appreciated.

Your problem may -- or may not -- be similar to one that I experienced.  The
stop-down/DOF preview button was binding and sometimes sticking in a
partially stopped-down position.  Turned out the internal mechanism was the
problem.   The fix required return to Nikon, after which it was OK in that
department.    That was a nearly brand-new F4, with Nikon USA warranty, so
it didn't cost anything but shipping and down time while Nikon got around to
fixing it.

That was a cursed camera.  Subsequent difficulties were:  1) Shutter
developed a malfunction; back to Nikon; 2) Meter electronics failed,
requiring replacement of the body 'flexible printed circuit'; back to Nikon
again.  The latter was *not* under warranty, and cost about half the price
of a good used F4 on today's market.  To be fair, I have owned five F4
bodies, still own three, and all of them have been trouble-free with the
exception of the 'cursed' one discussed here.

Jim