Stan,

<snip>
I have been reading about the supposed vignetting problem with the new
28-105 lens.  This disturbs me because in my investigations, the
introduction of this lens has filled a gap in Nikon's line and thus is
a plus in Nikon's favor.  The vignietting problem seems to be hit and
miss,
<snip>

I have used two copies of this lens, and neither had any trace of
vignetting.

The lens is very sensitive to the filter and lens hood you stick on the
front. The Nikon hood is a bayonet that start out perpendicular to the
lens, and then turns towards the front. It is a very wide hood.

I also used a Nikon L37c filter and had no problem.

However, when I tried a generic wide angle collapsible rubber shade,
there was definite vignetting.

I am very happy with my lens. The only drawback seems to be some
curvature of field when used in extreme close-up, not unexpected in a
macro zoom lens.

Colin