> I have been reading about the supposed vignetting problem with the new
> 28-105 lens.  This disturbs me because in my investigations, the
> introduction of this lens has filled a gap in Nikon's line and thus is
> a plus in Nikon's favor.  The vignetting problem seems to be hit and
> miss, but if Nikon is really putting pink slips in to warn people
> about the problem, then I must assume that it is a real and know
> difficulty with this lens.
>
> Has anybody returned this lens to Nikon and asked them to correct the
> problem?  If so, what has the response been?

I can't imagine that vignetting is a sample to sample problem. If it was, it
would seem to indicate that the position of lens elements in various lenses
is radically different. That would surely show up as other problems such as
lack of sharpness. These lenses are made to very fine tolerances, I doubt
this is a "problem" which can be corrected - it's a result of the lens design.

Vignetting in a given lens depends on:
- filters and hoods in use (nikon filters and hood should be ok)
- focal length
- focus distance
- aperture
- image cropping in the viewfinder and prints
- film contrast (high contrast film may show vignetting more)
- your own sensitivity to vignetting

The reason vignetting is "hit and miss" is that sometimes these factors
come together and cause vignetting, sometimes they don't. For a lens of
this type, I would be very surprised if there wasn't some vignetting.
Roland.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.ait.ac.nz/staff/rvink/