Robert, thank you for your detailed reply.

I appreciate your efforts and agree with the technical portions of what
you said.

I would like to note, however, that my brain is turned off only because
of Nikon hype that had me thinking that the F5 meter-computer-database
metering system was designed to do  the compensation for me.  If
correct, then I would not have to bother with compensation.

Of concern, is the possibility that the F5 "tries" to compensate, and in
that effort provides "some" compensation, leaving the photographer to
guess at how much "additional" compensation would be necessary.

I was apparently wrong on my understanding of the F5, and Nikon Customer
service is unwilling/uncapable of providing a detailed engineering-level
technical description of the operation of the meter.

Forthwith, I will turn back on the brain that has, for several decades
and scores of cameras, been quite capapble of providing exposure
compensation when photographing non-midtoned subjects.

al hart