Well, hey,
I've watched the hot little F70n dispute build over the past week and I
can't keep shut any longer -
I dunno, but this flame war has really put me OFF the idea of buying an F70.
It really does sound like a lot of faffing about with buttons, which I could
live without.
One day I'll finally upgrade from my two trusty old FG's and break into Auto
Focus. (I already have an MDE winder, so auto film transport won't be such a
revolution, but AF will)
I was sort of thinking about the F70 but not now (unless somebody wants to
GIVE me one ;-))
Apart from leaping up to a new F100 which I can’t afford just at the moment,
I'm having to look instead at second-hand cameras - not just because their
cheap, but because I think they're better designed, because they're older
and don’t suffer from this insistence by manufacturers on modern cameras of
forcing us to be guineapigs to test their funky-new GUI interfaces on…

So my choice is narrowing to F601, 801, 801s, 90, 90x.
So help me out here fellas please, I have some questions - (incidentally are
we
all fellas or are there any women on this list? Is Nikon-owning only a
predominantly male pursuit?)
The 801s has spot metering, the 801 doesn't, is that correct?
601 has spot metering doesn't it? Wasn't there another 601 model which
didn't have AF, or didn't have spot metering or didn't have built in flash
or something?
If the 801 was supposed be the superior model to the 601, why didn't it have
spot metering when it first came out? Apart from maybe a faster motordrive,
what made it better than the 601?
What's the difference between the F90 and the F90x? I never hear anyone
talking about the F90 at all - all you guys seem to have the F90x.
How does an F801 compare to an F90?
What year did the F601, F801, 801s F90 and F90x come out?
Which models have screw-in cable shutter release?
And another question - On the models that have built in flash (only the F601
and the F70 that I might be interested in) do they also have a hotshoe to
plug in my own Vivitar 283 flashgun or a Speedlite or something (which must
surely be more powerful than the built in flash). If so, where is the
hotshoe? Is it still on top of the prism but behind the flip up cowling for
the Built-in flash?
I do have an off-camera angle flash bracket with it's own trigger to link by
cable to a screw-in shutter release socket, but without a screw-in socket,
that nice trigger would be disabled, and anyway I don't want to have to fit
the whole flash-bracket gear every time I want to use my own flashgun
instead of just the built-in flash.
Which Nikons I mention above use the facilities of the D (distance?)
metering lens? Only the F90x?
Apart from the AF models I'd also like an FM2 one day, and also an old F2,
(the one with that beautiful huge slab of chrome alloy on the top - The F2
would mainly be a purely luxury aesthetic purchase only, I understand all
the F2 meters
have died).

Bye for now,
Tube.