Steve:

I use both the Kenko  AF 1.5X and the 2X on my 80-200 f2.8 ED-D (tripod
mount) and the 1.5X on my 300mm f4 AF.  With the N90s and N70, autofocus and
all viewfinder info are maintained with very little "hunting" unless the
subject is very small.  In line with George Lepp's observations, slide image
degradation is about 10% with the 1.5X and about 20% with the 2X, noticable
mostly in the corners.  I can live with these numbers considering the
convenience when traveling light.  Good shooting to you.

Ron
Ron Burkhardt
Director of Student Services
Purdue University School of Technology