Hello everybody!
It's not my intention to promote any C vs N war, just comment something
regarding Nikon's policy in my country.
Yesterday I did two things related to this issue:
1- Complained to the importer because it doesn't seem logical to me paying
three times B&H prices: it's cheaper for me to order from USA, pay all the
taxes, plus shipping, than taking a bus and buying in my city. His answer
was that they pay 50% duties, plus 23.5% in taxes.
2- Went downtown to do dome researching on the subject.

What I saw:
1- The Nikon F50 I payed u$s400 in London retails here u$s850 (!!!). But
the Canon EOS500 that went for more or less the same in London, you can get
it here for u$s550. I saw the F5 body going for u$s3600...
2- Sigma lenses are in average 50% more expensive than in USA, but it's
still cheaper (or almost the same) than buying mail order from B&H. The
same holds true for Tokina and Tamron.

My conclusions:
1- Being the taxes equal to any importer, the only thing that comes to my
mind is that Nikon is not doing a good job at promoting their stuff, at
least the "consumer grade" stuff. Or..
2- Both the importer *and* Nikon think that all us Nikon users are snobs
that will pay whatever they charge as long as we see Nikon written
somewhere..
3- I always wanted to buy a Nikon, and I did. But should I have to buy
*here*, I should have to go Canon, no matter what I like.

Is this equal in other "peripheric" countries?
Good bye, and thanks for all the info you share every digest!

Patricio Murphy
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ 19416686