> The 801s has spot metering, the 801 doesn't, is that correct?

Yes.

> 601 has spot metering doesn't it?

Yes.

> Wasn't there another 601 model which
> didn't have AF, or didn't have spot metering or didn't have built in flash
> or something?

There was a F601m, lacking AF, spot metering and built-in flash.

> If the 801 was supposed be the superior model to the 601, why didn't it have
> spot metering when it first came out? Apart from maybe a faster motordrive,
> what made it better than the 601?

The F801 came 3 years before the F601. The F801s upgrade appeared just
after the introduction of the F601. The F801 also offers multiple
exposures, interchangeable focusing screens, faster shutter (1/250s
flash sync), multi-control back option and DOF preview.

> What's the difference between the F90 and the F90x? I never hear anyone
> talking about the F90 at all - all you guys seem to have the F90x.

The F90x has a faster AF (it's just the internal software that has been
upgraded). There are other minor diffs. The F90x has been around for 5
years, while the F90 only lasted two years. It was also less successful.

> How does an F801 compare to an F90?

The F90 has a faster AF and wider AF sensor. It also features 3D matrix
metering, matrix flash TTL metering, AF-I and AF-S compatibility, etc...
All in all, the F90 should have much more performant Af and slightly
more performant flash exposure system.
OTOH, some think that the F90[x] ambient exposure system is less stable
than the one of the F801 (it seems more prone to over-corrections in
some tricky cases), and the F801 has a +/- 2 stops analog scale vs +/- 1
stop for the F90.

> What year did the F601, F801, 801s F90 and F90x come out?

Roughly: F801 1988, F601 end of 1990, F801s 1991, F90 1992, F90x 1994.

> Which models have screw-in cable shutter release?

The F601 only. All others have electronic remote release (as the F70).

> And another question - On the models that have built in flash (only the F601
> and the F70 that I might be interested in) do they also have a hotshoe to
> plug in my own Vivitar 283 flashgun or a Speedlite or something (which must
> surely be more powerful than the built in flash). If so, where is the
> hotshoe? Is it still on top of the prism but behind the flip up cowling for
> the Built-in flash?

Yes.

> Which Nikons I mention above use the facilities of the D (distance?)
> metering lens? Only the F90x?

The F90 as well.

Hope this helps,

Nicolas.