Patricio,

I lived for some years in the region, more precisely in Montevideo, and
I can tell you that it was the same thing over there. Almost all prices
were much too high, and importers blamed it on the taxes too. The way I
see it, importers are not willing to take any risks, hence they import
just a few units at very high prices instead of importing lots of units
for a reasonable price. That way they make lots of money with a minimal
risk. One could assume that a Nikon delivered from Japan to Argentina
costs almost the same than a Nikon delivered to Australia, but importers
know very well that the economy is not very stable in South America, so
they don't want to risk losing a big stock because of some devaluation.

On the other hand, you could try to find out whether Nikon Argentina is
officially a subsidiary of Nikon Japan, or if it is only a franchise
holder. Canon is a much bigger company and may allow itself the luxury
of having subsidiaries all over the world.

My advice: if an importer wants you to pay twice as much, don't buy
anything from him until he learns that economy works on a basis of
supply and demand.

Good luck,
Friedrich
Graz, Austria