Hello all,

    I am trying to decide what to do about macro
accessories, and was hoping that someone might
be able to help me decide.

    My current setup consists of:
N90s/MB-10/MF-26
SB-22
SB-26
35-70/2.8AF-D
80-200/2.8AF-D one-touch
50/1.8AF

    The only thing left that I don't really have is a
macro lens or tubes.

    What I am trying to decide is whether I should
go with a Micro 105/2.8AF-D, or would something
like Kenko's AF-D tube set be sufficient? They have
a set of three tubes for $175 which consists of a
36mm, 20mm, and 12mm tubes which couple the
aperture and AF contacts. I was thinking of using
either the 50/1.8AF or the 80-200/2.8AF-D with
the tubes.

    One advantage of the tubes is that I can go to 1.47x
magnification with a 50mm lens. Also, theoretically, with
the 80-200 at 200, I could get decent magnification
with excellent working distance.

    I know the Micro 105/2.8AF-D is also a good
general purpose lens, but I'm pretty much OK with
the 80-200/2.8 giving me that focal length.

    I don't do macro very often, but I only plan on
making this decision once.

    Any comments would be appreciated. I know the
Micro 105/2.8AF-D is a great lens, but I'm looking
at a $400 difference between the two options, and
I'm not sure if it's worth it. If someone thinks it would
be a really big mistake to go with the tubes as opposed
to the 105/2.8AF-D, please tell me.

Thanks,
Chris Kalisiak