Again this was the unfortunate cost of keeping the older F mount and
preserving backward compatibility which by the way, is really falling by
the wayside also. The term should be modified to something like "limited
backward compatibility". As matrix metering and other functions have
been sacrificed.

Here, I would differ with your thoughts. I own four manual focus lenses.
Were I to use them on Nikon's latest, an F100, they would do everything
they were designed and intended to do except show the aperture in the
viewfinder. To me, that's pretty dang good compatibility.

Larry