In Nikon Digest v04.n313/message 13
John Brink <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>Marc,
>The lens you have 50-135 AIS is considered every bit as much of a
>classic as the 75-150 Series E. .......John Shaw, nature
>photographer, has done some excellent landscape work with a 50-135 AIS.
>I admit I am biased toward the 50-135 AIS and you may have some very
>good reasons for changing for the 70-150. Good luck.

I've been using the 50-135 since purchased new in 1985, and it has proven
fantastic for portraiture.  It covers the  basic portrait range perfectly,
and allows me to move from single head shots to small groups with ease.
The sharpness of my lens rivals that of most fixed lenses (I don't want to
split hairs here).

Need something longer than the 50-135?  Don't forget about the TC-201.
Attaching it to the 50-135 gives you a 100-270 f7, not terribly fast but
good for daylight and/or tripod work.  This is what I've been using for a
long zoom when I travel, with great results.

I too am biased toward the 50-135.  It was sadly overlooked when new,
probably because it didn't zoom out wider at the wide end.  Also, the macro
function isn't the greatest, focusing to about 2 ft. at 50mm.  A standard
50mm lens will get closer!  Still, it's a pity that more people didn't try it.

Regards,
Jim Elms
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www2.southwind.net/~jimelms/nikonfe.html