> Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 09:56:14 -0800
> From: David Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Nikon's decision to keep the F mount [v04.n317/10]
> Message: 10
>
> >Let's put it this way... Who's mount is it easier to design fast glass
> >for? Who's mount would you rather design for? There are benefits to a
> >complete re-design.
>
> But the originator of the thread and others wrote as if it were a physical
> impossibility to design fast lenses for an F mount.  Now one is backing off.

That's the point I was trying to make especially since Canon had 85/1.2
and 200/1.8 lenses in the smaller diameter FD mount (does anyone know
how large it was in comparison to Nikon's F mount?) before the EF mount
came out.  On Compuserve's photo forum, Chuck Westfall (Canon's
technical rep) even stated that larger diameter wasn't necessarily for
designing faster lenses but for greater flexibility in designing lenses
and greater structural integrity.

Unfortunately, generalizations about Nikon's F mount are accepted by
some as truth.  I remember not too long ago that people were saying that
Nikon's F mount made for slower focusing lenses.  Rather than rambling
on and taking up bandwidth, visit my web page
"http://members.home.com/rdong" to read my thoughts on the matter.