Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 14:06:59 PST
From: Michael Ryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Spot fill flash [v04.n146/30]
Message: 30

>From reading the SB-26 manual, I see that the SB-26 on my
F70 will perform -only- 3D Multi-sensor balanced fill flash
or Multi-sensor balanced fill flash, when using AF-D or AF
lenses.

Am I correct in saying Spot Fill Flash isn't possible?
Besides, what -is- spot fill flash -- I would have thought
it let me expose a spot area using fill flash with the rest
of the scene exposed by ambient light.
<<<
Do you want the flash concentrated on the spot?  If so, the flash is not
designed to function that way.

If you want the exposure to be determined by the ambient light over most
of the frame and by the flash in the spot, I don't believe that the
cameras are designed to function that way.  This instance could be
useful to solving some problems though.

The SB-26 manual seems to be saying that that if I've got
the F70 in spot-metering mode, then multi-sensor balanced
fill flash will be performed but the area I've spot metered
determines the part of the photo that -is not- to be
considered as the background.
<<<
The SB26 manual statement seems clear enough to me.

Jim
-