>  Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that while the "T" does not drain
> the batteries (to keep the shutter open), the "B" setting requires the use
> of batteries (for F3 and later Nikon models) to keep the shutter open.  I
> once went out with a friend on a cold winter early morning (to shoot really
> long exposures, mostly seascapes) and he had his F4s on "B".  Before the end
> of the morning, his batteries (fully recharged) were half drained.  I used
> the "T" setting and the batteries were okay.
>
>   Also, if you don't have a cable release when using the "B" or "T" setting,
> you can use the self timer to fire the  shutter.  so, you won't really need
> the cable release and saves you fiddling around to screw the release down.
>
> Regards,
> Deric Soh.

Deric,
     You are correct.  Actually, in a separate e-mail to the original
poster I clarified that I wasn't sure about the "B" setting using
batteries because I seldom, if ever, use it.  It does however use the
batteries, as you stated.
     My main issue was that the F3 will properly expose for much longer
than 8 seconds in the "A" mode however you can't set it for a specific
exposure time greater than 8 seconds.
     Again, you are correct in that you can use the self timer to fire
the shutter in the "T" mode or the "B" mode but the issue was with
regard to exposures longer than 8 seconds.  You can't do that in the "B"
mode without your finger or a cable release.....or something holding the
button down.

Harvey