Mike;    I do my copying with a setup made for use
on my enlarger. I made an adapter out of plywood
and oak that slides into the enlarger as the negative
carrier does. A 1/4-20 thumb screw holds the
camera onto the adapter. This allows me to raise/lower the
camera easily, while remaining square to the image
being copied. For lighting I use 2 - 300W shoplights
that can be bought for less than $15 each. The color
isn't perfect for copying with slides, but close enough
so it usually doesn't make a noticeable difference.
A little thought along these lines can save a lot of
bucks with just a little work.
Don