>didn't notice a reply to the
     request for ideas for timing very long exposures (hours). I would
     suggest either a countdown timer or normal alarm clock.

Actually, the trick I learned from another outdoor photographer was to
borrow my (then) wife's kitchen timer. The one I have now goes up to 9 hours
59 minutes, which is more than enough. I find this better than using an
alarm, as I don't have to calculate the right time to set. If I want a
four-hour exposure, I just set the kitchen timer to four hours and crawl
into my sleeping bag for a quick snooze.

Thom Hogan
Executive Editor, BACKPACKER Magazine
author, The Nikon Field Guide (Silver Pixel Press)
www.bythom.com