Hi Mike,

I use a Bogen 3021S, the shorter version, and removed the second section
of the
center column. When the legs are spread, and not extended to full
length,
I have a very sturdy tripod leaving the ballhead about six inches off
the ground.
I would also recommend a macro slider.  It is tedious to readjust all
the
hardware to get your composure perfect, and a Velbon slider costs about
$85 and worth every penny.  I also keeps the miniature Bogen 3008 with
mini-ballhead.  It is very useful setup that sometimes is all I need,
and
also doubles as a flash mount for backlighting.  To keep this Nikon
specific, I
use an N70 with a 105 mm f2.8 Micro, which I absolutely love.
Good shooting, John ;~)