Dear fellow Nikon aficionados,

I just picked up a Nikon 300mm f:4.5 ED lens. According to Moose, this
lens is inferior to the 300 f:4.5 EDIF due to slower focusing. When I
compare the ED to my EDIF AI, I don't really see a whole lot of
diference in the focusing feel. The ED does not focus as close as the
EDIF but the infinity to nearest focal distance is only about a 180
degree (half way around) twist of the focusing ring. The EDIF takes
almost a full turn but half that is to cover the difference in the close
focus between the two lenses (eg. from the 4 m closest of the ED to it's
closest of 2.5m). Also, when I look in Shuttebug, good examples of the
ED are very expensive compared to the EDIF. As well, the "Chasseur
d'Images" scale rates the ED as much higher than the EDIF. I am trying
to decide which to keep and would appreciate any opinions or information
on the comparison of these two lenses.

Regards, Jim Sutton
Tamia Photo Arts
Vancouver, Canada