> A week ago I asked for input regarding the 105/2.5 AIS
> and the 85mm/1.8 AF and I got lots of replies. I had decided
> to go with the 105/2.5 (mostly because I am using an FM2)
> when I came across a used 85mm/1.8 MF.
>
> In the past I've heard good things about this hard to find
> lens (unlike the 85mm/2 AI that followed when the 85mm/1.8
> was discontinued). Since it costs more than a new 105/2.5
> I thought I'd get ask the list for some comments about it.
> The extra 1stop is really tempting but I wonder how the
> quality of this lens is. Also, is it difficult to get a shade
> for it?

I had the 85mm 1.8 MF until recently when I switched to the AF-D version
(mainly to get matrix metering and aperture display with AF cameras).
The MF version only existed as an AI lens for a very short period. Most
samples should be non AI (possibly AI converted). My sample (an early
AI'd lens) was quite sharp from the full aperture and extremely pleasant
to use and focus. For what the price concerns, they can be found here
(in Belgium) for under 200$. But they are no the most common lenses.

The filter size is 52mm, which is also interesting. I found a cheap
(non-Nikon) plastic screw-in hood when I bought the lens. It worked
quite well but could not accomodate a lens cap nor be reversed. It
should be fairly easy to find an adequate hood in second hand fairs. I
even saw the dedicate Nikon hood in a fair (sorry, I don't remember the
reference) but it was not cheap. The latter should be hard to find as I
think it was specific to that lens, which is long discontinued.

I recommend the 85 1.8 over the 105mm 2.5, if you don't need the extra
length. The 105 does not deserve its legendary reputation, IMHO (no
flame please). Or not anymore, at least. It is a very good lens,
especially seen that it is basically unchanged since the rangefinder
era, but the micro nikkor is sharper and the 85mm is faster. It is a
very good budget purchase, as the 135mm 2.8 is (the latter is even
sharper), but it is not the best Nikkor ever.

Good luck,

Nicolas.