On : Tue, 23 Mar 1999 14:05:49 -0800 (PST)
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Somers)
wrote :
        "I object!  :*)

        And frankly, I don't understand."

Chris,

My first impulse was to ask why in the world you would object to another
web site. As an old RBBS bulletin board operator before the big advent of
the WWW, my purpose was to provide a forum for the dissemination of
information.  I think another Nikon forum can do nothing more or less than
further our hobby.  I know the following points are important to me, maybe
they will help you understand.

1.  When I switched from my old Pentax Spotmatic to Nikon two years ago, I
had some difficulty finding information related directly to my concerns
about what the Nikon manual system had to offer without the chaff (you
referred to Signal / Noise Ratio) associated with AF new generation
equipment I couldn't afford at the time.  I gathered a long list of sites
under my favorites folder and read until I felt comfortable making my
initial purchases.  I think one site that addresses that information will
be very helpful to newcomers who approach it the way I did.

2.  As time passes, owner's manuals and other paper-based information about
a particular camera, flash system, lens, etc. will go the way of most paper
products...they get ripped, lost, eaten by the dog, etc.  There should be a
repository of information available on older equipment. This type of forum
does not really offer a means to have that repository unless you do a lot
of searching through the archives - and the archives should be in the same
place as the forum. If you wonder what I mean by this (repository), visit
Michael Liu's site at
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/michaeliu/index.htm

3. The web offers all of us the greatest opportunity to share information.
There is nothing to object to.  I also now own both auto focus and manual
Nikon equipment.  I will continue to visit both forums until/unless I reach
the same point Stew did.  I did some independent searching for a new home
for this forum when Andrew made his announcement and I told him what I
found - I don't want the Nikon Digest to die. The fact that you seem to
fear losing other's expertise would indicate that you realize the present
type of forum may have some deficiencies - if we are to make a move, now is
the time to correct any deficiencies that may exist in the eyes of the
users.

There may be "MF-onlies" at the new site, I am not one of them.  I am
however an "Information Junkie" and I hope to persuade others to my cause.

What do the readers of the Nikon Digest have to say about the repository
approach (Online manuals, etc.) as a consideration when moving?

Regards,

Bill Briggs