in short, defining these previously taken for granted features (e.g.,
stopped down metering) out of lower end cameras has been a deliberate
move, in my view, towards obsoleting the mass of older lenses, or forcing
new nikon buyers to buy mid-range higher priced models in order to get
these essential functions and features, IMHO.
<<<<<<<<<<

I disagree. I suspect these decisions, at least on an N60, rest on how to
manufacture a camera that reaches a certain price point. If an N60 can't be
priced competitively with its direct competition -- the EOS Rebel and
Minolta HTsi -- it will fail, because in its market segment it is competing
most often for first-time SLR buyers who can afford the lowest priced AF
SLRs.

To reach that price point, Nikon makes compromises. They have likely
decided the cost savings associated with  eliminating a mechanical linkage
-- the auto indexing lever -- is a reasonable sacrifice because most of the
N60's potential market segment is likely to purchase consumer-grade AF
zooms with the camera. I'm guessing here, of course, but I'd bet this is
how Nikon's market research impacts design decisions on a lower level body.
It makes sense:  Consumers buying an entry-level AF SLR are going to want
to AF.

Frankly, I give Nikon credit for maintaining their metal lensmount in the
N60 while the competition has moved to cost-saving plastic (though I'll
admit Canon has found a way to pack a bunch more features into a camera at
this price point. Which is probably why their Rebel sells so well).

Larry