Greetings,

I may be called a heretic & kick up a lot of flames, but if I were to use
one lens at a wedding, it would have to be either a 50mm or 35mm, not a
zoom.  Before you start laughing & saying I don't know what I'm talking
about, I have shot over 1,000 weddings and none of them were shot with a
zoom.  All were shot with a "normal" lens.  I was shooting with medium
format rather than 35mm.

Which brings up another point.  Yes, you can shoot a wedding with 35mm.
Many people can't tell the difference between a print shot with a 35mm vs.
one shot with a medium format.  However, if you really want to set yourself
apart from all the other people with their P & S cameras, you need to use a
medium format.  Again, please don't flame me for my opinion.  I have
probably done more weddings than most of you & I do know what I'm talking
about.

There's not a single shot that can't be done with a normal lens.  In fact,
you can actually do more with a single prime lens & medium format than you
could ever do with 35mm.  You can do multiple exposures by changing film
backs (can't do that with 35mm).  You can change film in less than 10
seconds by changing backs (you can't do that with 35mm).  You can vignette
every exposure consistently (can't do that with a zoom).  You can make an
enlargement up to 20 x 24 or larger without appreciable loss of detail (you
can't do that with 35mm).

Along the same line...be sure to take two of everything you might need.
You'll want (and need) backups of your lens, body, flash, batteries,
filters, etc.  I can guarantee that if you don't, you'll regret it at some
point.  I've had equipment fail on me many times, but the wedding party
never knew it.  I was able to continue as if nothing happened.  Also, be
sure to give the florists, caterers, dressmakers, etc. free photographs
showing their work.  It will be the best advertising you can do.

While not strictly Nikon related, I felt I had to say something on this
subject.  Keep in mind that anyone with a 35mm camera (no matter what kind)
can present themselves as a wedding photographer and possibly do an
acceptable job.  Realistically, someone shooting with medium format will
consistently produce better quality (providing they know what they're doing)
than someone with a 35mm.  After all, Uncle Joe's got a 35mm & he could do
the wedding for 1/3 the price the pro could.  He's been to a lot of
weddings.  He knows what pictures to take.  How hard can it be?

IMHO.

Best regards
John Wilkinson
Wilkinson Fotografix