I think this is interesting information.

I got the same lens for my F60, as part of a kit deal. The lens in question
(the Nikkor 35-80/f4.0-5.6) is often ridiculed and tarred with the same
brush as many other low cost, "budget" zooms.

I felt rather indifferent towards it when I got it, generally thinking like
all other did - such a cheap lens must be crappy. However, after shooting a
number of slides films with it, I feel that this lens is pretty underrated
in terms of sharpness. The look and feel of it makes me less impressed, but
somehow the "looseness" and insolidity of the lens doesn't show up in the
results...

I have also seen a few test ratings of it, and generally, these confirm my
belief - the lens isn't completely bad.

Anders Svensson