Hello nikoneers,

I' ve got a question about ringflashes. Does anybody know if there is a GOOD
alternative to the SB21 from Nikon, which has a smaller (or lower ?) price
than Nikon's but has about the same characteristics (TTL, up to 62mm
filtersize)?

So far, I know two ringflashes that offer TTL, but only up to a filtersize
of 58 mm: Sunpak and Suntax. I need the 62 mm for my 60 mm Micro-Nikkor.

About the SB-27:

Though I can't try it anymore on my SB-27 (I exchanged mine for an SB-25 and
a few guilders just two days ago!), I think you will have to compensate
nowhere if you shoot TTL with your F90x. You will lose a lot of light by
diffusing, which is Ok when shooting macro or quite close to the camera. If
you want to shoot further away from the camera, I think you will have to use
a more sensitive film (ISO 400 or up). The SB-27 is not a very high powered
flash and has a very different user-interface from the SB-25 and SB-26 (=
the reasons is exchanged my SB-27!). I hope this helps, Rob!

About the SD-8:

Two days ago I visited my favorite photostore in Rotterdam. They could offer
me new SD-8's for half the price it would normally cost (new price FL 149 =
about $ 75 excl. taxes). The reason for this: the SD-8 does not fit on the
SB-28, so it is not a product anymore that fits in the current range of
products, though it fits the SB-27 which is still in the range. It fits the
SB-24, 25, 26 and 27 (and more, older types). It's function? To diminish
batteries in the flash. In fact it is only a box of batteries that can be
attached to your belt. One very good capability is that it is possible to
put NiCad-batteries (very quick loading) into the SD-8 while using other
kinds of batteries in the flash (which for instance take more time to load
but last longer) or vice-versa. It connects to the flash with a cable.
Interesting, isn't it? Something for you, Rob?

The truth is out there.....

Bye!

Martin Giphart