Scott Fisher wrote:

dear persons:

i have nearly a dozen nikkor lenses, all manual focus, how can i
determine when they were made and what series they are?  with firearms,
the serial numbers can be correlated with year of manufacture and what
series/model modification the rifle might be - is this true of nikkor
lenses?  any help would be greatly appreciated.  best regards, scott

Reply:

"The Nikon System Handbook", by Moose Peterson (5th ed.) is something
nobody who does anything serious with Nikon products should be without!
I just got  a copy and find myself refering to it *constantly*. My only
regret is that I didn't know about its value several years ago.  In
addition to complete history and descriptons of *every* Nikon product
ever made, it includes the list of serial numbers Scott asked about. Got
mine at Amazon.com.

The reason I'm posting this to the group instead of directly to Scott is
to thank Moose for this valuable book by spreading the word.

Dan Dresner