I think moderator approval of first posts by users is the best solution so far.
Not too much work for moderators, and no change for anybody who is already on
the board, except no new spam anymore. Flagging is not the best idea. I think
currently it means that all active users have to flag something before anything
happens (rough guess of active users at the moment), and when there are a ton
of users, flagging gets abused to remove unwanted content that has nothing to
do with SPAM, it is just an unpopular opinion.