@Lando I think you misunderstood me. I like properties for the reasons you
mentioned (mainly: not giving a damn). I just don't like the fact they work
differently in the module the type is defined in.

As for whether properties are good: it depends. Memoized properties are often a
good usecase: after the first access it actually is just a simple read
(although one could argue that as the very first call is expensive, it should
not mimic simple access). Also, properties can be an alias --- in one of my
projects I used some generic N-spaces but aliased a few first elements of any
N-dimentional array by x, y, z etc.

As for solution: why not use the same one as with assignments?
system.`host=`(s, 34) sounds weird but hey, it IS weird to directly access a
field when a setter for this field is defined!