I have question which is likely addressed to Araq.

I have spent a couple of days investigating the reason why my Nim code is
somewhat slower than similar C implementation.

I have traced it down to the fact that Nim invokes gcc with
"-fno-strict-aliasing" flag. In my case it reduces level of
vectorization/optimization done by gcc. I have recompiled generated C code
without this flag and now my Nim code is on par with C.

The question if it is safe to remove this flag? and why it is there in the
first place. If it is actually required, I am willing to help getting rid of it
if it is feasible.